The Amos Butler Audubon Society came into being on 18 March 1938 at a meeting of the Indiana Audubon Society, Central District, which was called to order by Dr. Earl Brooks, a practicing dentist from Noblesville, Indiana. A constitution was drawn up and formally adopted on 29 April 1938. Article 1 of that constitution read as follows: “Name.—This organization shall be known as the Indiana Audubon Society, Central District, Amos W. Butler Chapter. The following counties constitute the Central District: Boone, Hamilton, Hendricks, Marion, Hancock, Morgan, Johnson and Shelby.” Article 2 spelled out the object of the organization: “. . . to carry out the work of the Indiana Audubon Society and to undertake district conservation activities that may be approved by the Indiana Audubon Society.” In all, there were a total of eight articles, which were signed by Samuel E. Perkins III, Sue S. Sims, and Bernice Hussey.
In the latter part of his life, Butler resided in Indianapolis, first as state ornithologist and later as secretary to the State Board of Charities, serving in the latter capacity for some twenty-five years until his death in 1937. Ever since his Birds of Indiana was published in 1898, he has been considered the father of Indiana ornithology.
Learn more about the history of the Amos Butler Audubon Society, by downloading the
History of the Amos W. Butler Audubon Society, by Charles E. Keller.